APPLICATION FOR A RAISED BED
If you wish to apply for an accessible raised bed please read our Allotment Rules and your Policies and Documentation as these form part of the tenancy agreement.
Click here to view or print the request form Accessibility Raised Beds – Allotment Request Form and email it to the secretary at AlsagerGardensSecretary@gmail.com
We are now near the completion of our comprehensive project to provide everyone, parents and children, the elderly and those less able individuals, improved access to plots and facilities at all our allotment sites.
Using grants from The Big Lottery Fund along with our own Association funds, we have already achieved a good deal having installed new Accessible toilets at all four of our allotment sites.
We have also developed Raised beds and their associated paving at all sites. We have used Association funds and our maintenance budget to achieve part of the work required and this along with specific Grant funding from Cheshire East Borough Council and others has helped us fully realise the project.
Grants have been received from the following sponsors to whom we are most grateful:
- £2806 from The Big Lottery Fund
- £1000 from Cheshire East Borough Council
- £1000 from Persimmon Homes
- £ 500 from David Wilson Homes
- £ 500 from Seddon Homes
- £500 from Stoke City Football Club
- £3260 from Tesco Bags of Help to provide the raised beds at Talke Road and Coronation Avenue
We completed the paving and pathways for the four Raised beds at Lawton Road in May 2018 and in September 2018 we completed the three Raised beds at Cedar Avenue . In 2019, with the funding from Tesco Bags of Help, we completed the final raised beds at Talke Road and Coronation Avenue making all our site accessible.
Our Future Plans
We have built a sturdy base in ensuring that all residents, including those with mobility issues, can use an allotment and that within the site they have safe and good access to our allotments plots, the toilet building and water.
At Cedar Avenue we are commencing a comprehensive project to raise funds to make safe and improve the physical access to our allotment site which is accessed from the “waste ground” that links Cedar Avenue with Valley Brook. It is an area used by all the community including residents, walkers, St Gabriel’s School, the scouts and the guides. Our plan is to aesthetically improve this area, making it fit for purpose, ensuring that those using the area and the public footpath can do so safely.
In addition to this we would like to :
- Enhance the Raised Beds areas by providing water buts, composters, cloches and tool storage and a sitting area close to the raised beds
- We would like to provide appropriate shelters and secure communal tool storage at Talke Road and Coronation Avenue.
- At Cedar Avenue, by far our largest site, we hope to establish a communal facility which can be used by our members and partners providing a place to meet and socialise generating a camaraderie this would bring along side growing your own food and a place to enable us to undertake a range of activities that can help promote the overall Health And Well being of our community.
- At Coronation Ave we would like to provide a central path from the gate and accessible raised beds to the toilet building and water stand pipe.
- At Lawton Road we would like to improve the Car Parking arrangements to enable people with mobility issues easy access to the Raised Beds
What we have achieved so far
1. Talke Road & Coronation Avenue
The £3269 from Tesco Bags Of Help was received in February 2019 and we have now completed the two raised beds at Talke Road and one raised bed at Coronation Avenue.
2. Lawton Road
Here are some photographs taken on the day our volunteers created the raised beds!
It was challenging work with lots of heavy lifting and shifting by our team of volunteers but the finished article, our first set of four accessibility raised beds which you can see in the photographs, has been well worth all the effort and planning that has gone into this project. These 4 beds are now let out to tenants one of which includes a Pre school Nursery – promoting gardening at all ages!
3. Cedar Avenue
In addition to the 3 Accessibility Raised beds and associated paving, we have now completed the central path from the gate at Cedar Avenue to the rear path. More work is planned to enhance the raised beds area with a paving and seating area and communal shelter.
APPLICATION FOR A RAISED BED
If you wish to apply for one of these Raised Beds please Click here to view or print the request form Accessibility Raised Beds – Allotment Request Form