PPLICATION FOR AN ACCESSIBILITY RAISED BED
If you wish to apply for an accessible raised bed please Click here to view or print the request form Accessibility Raised Beds – Allotment Request Form
We are undertaking a comprehensive project to provide everyone, parents and children, the elderly and those less able individuals, improved access to plots and facilities at all our allotment sites. A key part of this project is the creation of Accessibility Raised Beds at each of our four sites.
Using grants from The Big Lottery Fund along with our own Association funds, we have already achieved a good deal having installed new Accessible toilets at all four of our allotment sites.
We are now concentrating on the development of the Accessibility Raised beds and their associated paving. We have used Association funds and our maintenance budget to achieve part of the work required and this along with specific Grant funding from Cheshire East Borough Council and others, should help us fully realise the project.
Grants have been received from the following sponsors to whom we are most grateful:
- £2806 from The Big Lottery Fund
- £1000 from Cheshire East Borough Council
- £1000 from Persimmon Homes
- £ 500 from David Wilson Homes
- £ 500 from Seddon Homes
- £500 from Stoke City Football Club
- £3260 from Tesco Bags of Help
We completed the paving and pathways for the four Accessibility Raised beds at Lawton Road in May 2018 and in September 2018 we completed the three Accessibility Raised beds at Cedar Avenue .
Talke Road & Coronation Avenue
The £3269 from Tesco Bags Of Help was received in February 2019 and we have now completed (April 2019) the two raised beds at Talke Road.
Construction at Coronation Avenue is planned for completion in July 2019
PRESENTATION FROM TESCO BAGS OF HELP
Completed Raised Beds at Talke Road
Here are some photographs taken on the day our volunteers created the raised beds!
It was challenging work with lots of heavy lifting and shifting by our team of volunteers but the finished article, our first set of four accessibility raised beds which you can see in the photographs, has been well worth all the effort and planning that has gone into this project. These 4 beds are now let out to tenants one of which includes a Pre school Nursery – promoting gardening at all ages!
In addition to the 3 Accessibility Raised beds and associated paving, we have now completed the central path from the gate at Cedar Avenue to the rear path. More work is planned to enhance the raised beds area with a paving and seating area and communal shelter.
Our Future Plans
We hope to build on the sturdy base we will have established in providing easy and safe access to our allotments plots for everyone, but particularly for those who have difficulty working at ground level.
- We would like to enhance the ARB area by providing water buts, composters, cloches and tool storage and a sitting area close to the raised beds
- We would like to provide appropriate shelters and secure communal tool storage at Talke Road and Coronation Avenue.
- At Cedar Avenue, by far our largest site, we hope to establish a communal facility which can be used by our members and partners providing a place to meet and socialise generating a camaraderie this would bring along side growing your own food and a place to enable us to undertake a range of activities that can help promote the overall Health And Well being of our community.
- At Coronation Ave we would like to provide a central path from the gate and accessible raised beds to the toilet building and water stand pipe.
- At Lawton Road we would like to improve the Car Parking arrangements to enable people with mobility issues easy access to the Raised Beds
APPLICATION FOR AN ACCESSIBILITY RAISED BED
If you wish to apply for one of these Raised Beds please Click here to view or print the request form Accessibility Raised Beds – Allotment Request Form